Today, a reliable internet connection is indispensable for a comfortable lifestyle.
From booking a cab to ordering food to paying our bills, our daily activities are heavily dependent on the internet.
We cannot hope to run our lives smoothly, if we don’t have round-the-clock access to the net. This is where a best wireless router comes in handy. It is just what you need to enjoy high-speed, uninterrupted internet.
It can solve all your connectivity issues by providing superior WIFI connectivity for all your devices like smart phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, kindles, play stations and smart TVs.
You can install it in your home or in your work place and share the bandwidth with your family and co-workers.
- Best Wireless Routers 2020
- #1. TP-Link Talon AD7200 - Best Performance Wifi Router 2020
- #2. Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Best Range Coverage Wireless Router
- #3. ASUS RT-AC88U - Best Gaming Router under $300
- #4. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) - Best Router under $200
- #5. D-Link AC3200 (DIR-890L/R) - Best Wireless Router under $400
- #6. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 - Best Wifi Router under $400
- #7. Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena - Best Wireless Router under $200 for Home
- #8. Linksys WRT1900 AC - Best Dual Band Router under 200 Dollars
- #9. TP-Link Archer C7 - Best Wireless Router Under $100
- #10. NETGEAR AC1750 (R6400) - Best Cheap Wireless Router under $100
- Wireless Router Buyer’s Guide
- Important Factors to consider While Buying a Wireless Router
- Range of Wireless Router
- Single Band, Dual-Band or Tri-Band
- Security of Wireless Routers
- Final Words
Best Wireless Routers 2020
Before buying a wireless router, it is important to keep in mind the following few things:
- The size and layout of your house/office.
- The number of users/clients.
- The consumption level (gaming, downloading movies, etc).
- The type of devices you want to support with the router.
While the good news is there are many routers available in the market today, the flip side of it is it can be very confusing for a first-time buyer to decide which router will be best for them.
The market is swarming with routers of every possible make and design. Buyers are routinely bombarded with myriad product specifications. The technical language can be hard for the average buyer to understand.
Why, it’s puzzling sometimes even for the regular user?
That is why our team has got together to help you make the right choice. We can guide you in selecting a best wi-fi router that perfectly meets the specific needs of you and your family/co-workers.
We conducted an in-depth study of all the wireless routers currently sold in the market. We ranked them according to their performance and specifications. Below is our pick of the top ten best wireless routers to buy.
#1. TP-Link Talon AD7200 - Best Performance Wifi Router 2020
The TP-Link Talon AD7200 holds the distinction of being the first 802.11 ad router to be launched in the market.
Needless to say, it is the most sophisticated wireless router you can lay your hands on.
It is a powerful device. It can comfortably provide a top speed of 4600Mbps on the superfast 60GHz Wi-Fi band.
This is an amazing speed level for a wireless router to achieve. It means the device is robust enough to meet most domestic and commercial bandwidth needs.
What’s more, the TP-Link Talon AD7200 runs on the latest Multi-Band technology and has a strong 1.4 GHz dual-core processor. It is stylishly designed and is fitted with 8 state-of-the-art antennas to give you optimum service.
You can fold them if you want to get an even flat device surface. The router is comparatively large in size. The dimensions are: 9 inches x 9 inches x 1.7 inches.
Now let us delve in to the features of TP-Link Talon AD7200. We shall analyze each and every feature in detail for your benefit.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 is configured with the most advanced wireless technology. It is an 802.11ad router which means you can enjoy a maximum speed threshold of 4600Mbps on the 60GHz Wi-Fi band.
No matter what you are streaming or downloading, it will be super fast and be over before you know it. The brand claims that users can transfer 1GB files in 3 seconds, save a 1000 pics in 10 seconds and download an average size HD movie in 14 seconds.
Unbelievable, isn’t it? This cool new gadget is sure to revolutionize your internet browsing experience and take it to a whole new level of awesomeness.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 takes the help of Multi-Band technology to simultaneously support and manage 3 different Wi-Fi bands.
It can provide a combined speed of up to 7200Mbps. The first band gives 800Mbps at the rate of 2.4GHz, the second band gives 1733Mbps at the rate of 5GHz and the third band gives 4600Mbps at the rate of 60GHs.
Thus, you and your family/co-workers can comfortably enjoy seamless internet connectivity even when there are many users and multiple devices.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 comes equipped with the Wireless AC and Multi-User MIMO Technology.
What this means is that the router is powerful enough to support multiple devices like phones, laptops, tablets, smart TVs, etc.
The speed level will not be compromised. Connectivity will be up to 3 times faster for devices running on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
A traditional router can provide date to one device at a time whereas a MU-MIMO router can offer data to many devices at the same time.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 operates on a 1.4GHz Dual-core processor. This ensures non-stop smooth internet use for all your family members and colleagues.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 employs Wireless AD technology that comes with the 60GHz Wi-Fi band. It has the unique ability to minimize external interferences and boost speed.
It can provide dependable 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi to fully encapsulate your home and office.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 is fitted with four Gigabit Ethernet ports, 1 WAN and dual USB 3.0 ports for superfast data transfer.
This means you can export movies, photos and other data to your external hard disk at the blink of an eye.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 comes with a single easy-to-use application that makes installing, setting up and periodically updating your router very convenient.
- It has 8 sophisticated antennas for superior internet coverage.
- It has Parental Controls settings so you can manage the use of internet on the connected devices.
- You can download files when offline too.
- It also has Guest Network setting which allows you to create a different network for your guests while keeping your main home network off-limits to outsiders.
The TP-Link Talon AD7200 is very easy to install and set up. It comes with a detailed manual to help you with this. You can get started in 3 simple steps.
One, connect your internet line to the router. Two, plug in the LAN cable to your laptop or desktop. Three, visit the router brand’s website www.tplinklogin.net and follow the installation guidelines.
Alternately, you can also download the mobile app (TP-Link Tether) and kick start the installation process yourself.
- The TP-Link Talon AD7200 promises superlative performance. It can effortlessly achieve 450Mbps in the 5GHz close range area i.e. when users are in the same room.
It touches about 150Mbps inside a distance of 30 feet from the device.
- As compared to the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10, the TP-Link Talon AD7200 is a better choice. It is not only cheaper but gives super high speed connectivity within a wide range for multiple devices.
In the 2.4GHz band, the TP-Link Talon AD7200 is faster than the NETGEAR Nighthawk. In the close proximity range it has speeds up to 100 Mbps and in the 30 foot range it gives 80Mbps.
- In the 60GHz AD frequency category, the TP-Link Talon AD7200 is comparable in performance with the NETGEAR Nighthawk. It gives 950Mbps in the close range.
One drawback is that the 60GHz band cannot get permeate walls. The result is that once you go out of the device’s line-of-sight, your connectivity may weaken.
The TP-Link Talon AD7200 has a sleek new design. Its 8 antennas have a smooth shine and can be collapsed and folded into the device to get a flat surface. In terms of size, it is a little bigger than your regular router.
So there you go! We have discussed the features, the process of installation and what performance to expect from the TP-Link Talon AD7200.
Let us now summarize the pros and cons of this router so you can have a crystal clear idea of all that the TP-Link Talon AD7200 entails.
- Superlative high-speed internet connectivity. The first 802.11ad router to enter the market.
- MU-MIMO enabled.
- Easy and convenient installation process through mobile app.
- Affordable when compared to its nearest competitor, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10.
- The AD frequency band cannot pass through walls.
- The AD frequency is not supported by most devices.
- There are very few 802.11ad clients at the moment.
- The size of the router is too big. Takes up too much space.
- Not very cheap in terms of price.
#2. Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Best Range Coverage Wireless Router
If you are looking for a hassle-free wireless router, the Google Wi-Fi is just what you need.
It is easy to use and set up. It is easy to manage. You can remotely control it from any corner of your house or office.
The router has a unique make in that it comes in a set of three identical Wi-Fi points. Each Wi-Fi point can cover an area of 1500 sqft.
Together the 3 devices cover a staggering area of 4500 sqft which is an unparalleled record. What’s more, you can add more Wi-Fi points to expand your coverage area.
Let us now take you through the top features of the Google Wi-Fi router.
- It runs on 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz frequencies simultaneously. It is compatible with IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi network standards.
- It is AC1200 2x2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi enabled. It has an expandable mesh Wi-Fi.
- It has a 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports per point. On the primary unit, they function as LAN and WAN ports. On the additional or secondary units, the two ports function as LAN ports.
- It runs on a 710 MHz quad-core processor and has a 512MB RAM.
- It uses something called Network Assist, which is a new-age software designed to select and provide the most high-speed band and the clearest channel for your devices.
- The Google Wi-Fi mobile app offers brilliant flexibility.
You can prioritize the devices linked to your network, view stats of all connected devices, share passwords with friends and co-workers and even schedule an automatic suspension of net connectivity on any device you choose.
What’s more, you can also control smart lights and all gadgets in the Nest System using the app. This is one of the biggest plus points of the Googol Wi-Fi.
- It has a Family Control feature. You can use it to monitor your kids’ internet use with the help of the pause/stop function.
- The Google Wi-Fi offers ease of verbal control through the use of conversational apps like Google Home and Alexa voice commands.
- You can expand your coverage area by adding more units. Hence, the Google Wi-Fi is ideal for houses of all sizes and layouts.
From basement to garage and attic to porch, the Google Wi-Fi is powerful enough to provide uninterrupted internet connection to all your devices.
The installation process is super simple. Just download the Android or iOS mobile app and scan the QR code stamped on the device.
The app will then direct you to set up a new network, name it and secure it with a password of your choice. Once this is done, you will have to connect the remaining units and tag them in the app for easy identification.
That’s all. Your installation process is complete. Your Wi-Fi is ready for use.
- The Google Wi-Fi gives great performance due to its unique multiple unit design. It makes use of Mesh Networking technology to give you expandable coverage.
- You can achieve a speed of around 450Mbps in the close range circuit of 5GHz frequency (tested in the same room). The more expensive Talon AD7200 gives the same speed.
Plus, when compared with Eero which is USD 200 costlier than the Google Wi-Fi, we found that the Google Wi-Fi also gave around the same coverage and speed.
The Orbi router is known for providing the fastest Wi-Fi. But Google is easy to use and manage and less expensive.
Also, Orbi is bulky, has only two units and lacks a mobile app to help set it up and control its functions. All in all, the Google Wi-Fi is a fairly good performer when juxtaposed with some of its competitors.
- When tested in the long range, the Google Wi-Fi sustained speeds of up to 200Mbps. But this is only a single unit speed. When all units combine, coverage and speed issues get automatically resolved.
- In the 2.4GHz category, the Google Wi-Fi can achieve speeds up to 100Mbps in the close proximity range and 70Mbps in the long distance range. These speed levels are fairly good when compared with other expensive routers.
The Google Wi-Fi has a chic, minimalistic design. It comes in a set of three. Each unit is a gorgeous shade of white and is shaped like a small compact cylinder.
A slender band of LED light runs around the middle of the unit giving it a very urbane look.
- Expandable coverage.
- Impressive speeds on all Wi-Fi frequency bands.
- User-friendly mobile app enables control of all devices and smart home gadgets.
- Can be operated using chatbots like Alexa.
- Easy installation.
- Stunning looks, unobtrusive size.
- User has to stay logged into their Google account in order to use the Wi-Fi.
- Lacks a web interface.
- Has only two cable jacks.
#3. ASUS RT-AC88U - Best Gaming Router under $300
If you are a video games enthusiast, The Asus RT-AC88U is the ideal wireless router for you.
Asus is known for making high-performance gaming gadgets.
The Asus RT-AC88U operates on the advanced 4x4 802.11ac Multi User MIMO technology.
It is an AC3100 dual-band Wi-Fi router and has 8 Gigabit LAN jacks supported by the AiProtection, an exclusive Asus feature. It also has one WAN Gigabit Ethernet port.
The web interface of the Asus RT-AC88U is very intuitive. The router performs well in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency ranges.
The Smart Connect feature guarantees seamless Wi-Fi connectivity on all devices. The device has four antennas and has a smart look. Let us now take a look at the features, installation, performance and design of the Asus RT-AC88U.
- The Asus RT-AC88U is a dual-band AC3100 router. It runs on 4x4 802.11ac Multi User MIMO technology. It is a powerful gaming router capable of giving up to 3167Mbps internet throughput.
- It is equipped with 8 Gigabit LAN ports which are ideal for all kinds of gaming computers and set-top boxes.
The LAN ports are supported by the Trend Micro powered AiProtection, an exclusive feature of Asus.
This means that the device is fully protected from external interferences. AiProtection safeguards your gaming devices from online threats.
- It is powered by a 1.4GHz dual core processor supported by a memory of 512MB. In other words, it has enough power to provide good speed in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands.
- It comes with one USB 3.0 and one 2.0 ports for networking and storage.
- Stability of your network and ping time is influenced by the course gaming packets take once they exit your network. Faulty hops cause packet loss and incompatible pings.
Being a gaming-oriented router, the Asus RT-AC88U has a built-in access to WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) which is a private network of route-optimized servers designed to achieve stable and low ping times.
If you found the preceding description hard to follow, don’t worry. All it means is that the Asus RT-AC88U is built with cutting-edge gaming technology that’s currently the best in the market.
You can rest assured you are in safe hands. The Asus RT-AC88U promises to make your gaming experience lively and exciting like never before.
- The router has the capacity to cover an area up to 5000sqft. Four of the antennas transmit signal and the other four receive it, thus ensuring better network coverage and speed even in the farthest corners of your house.
- The Asus RT-AC88U makes use of the advanced Broadcom NitroQAM chipset which is a huge plus point. The same chipset is used by high-end routers like the RT-AC5300 and the Netgear R8500.
However, the Asus RT-AC88U does not have an extra 5GHz frequency band. That is where the Asus RT-AC88U differs from the RT-AC5300.
In fact, the only scenario in which you may find the Asus RT-AC88U speed to be slower than the RT-AC5300 is when you have more than 10 simultaneously active 5GHz users on your network.
The RT-AC5300 is faster because it has two 5GHz bands. Other than that, we don’t believe there is anything lacking in the Asus RT-AC88U in terms of speed and compares favorably when pitted against top models like the RT-AC5300.
- The Asus RT-AC88U can be easily installed and monitored with the help of the Asus Router mobile app. You can control and view all devices connected to your network and manage security features.
- It has a superior web interface. The ASUSWRT User interface affords ease of installation.
- It has 2 years of warranty.
- It is priced at around USD269 but may vary from vendor to vendor and country to country.
The Netgear X8AC5300 and the RT-AC5300 are both more expensive than the Asus RT-AC88U but from a speed and coverage perspective, the Asus RT-AC88U does not lag too far behind.
The Asus RT-AC88U has a simple 3-step installation process. All you have to do is connect the router to your computer and the internet and the Asus web interface will immediately kick-start the setting-up process.
You will be given two options to configure the router. The Quick Internet Setup Wizard will ask you to select your connection type, name the SSIDs and create a network encryption key for each band. Once this is done, you are good to go.
- It runs smoothly on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. It can support multiple clients through the MU-MIMO technology.
- Fantastic gaming experience with superior online threat protection. Ideal for gaming zealots.
- It is equipped with 8 Gigabit LAN ports which can support all kinds of gaming computers and set-top boxes. It can achieve speeds up to 3167 Mbps.
- It can give coverage over an area of up to 5000sqft.
- Responsive web interface makes installing the router very easy.
The router is fitted with 4 stylish black antennas with red highlights at the bases. The color of the router is black. The overall design is elegant and understated. The dimensions of the product are: 30” x 6.5” x 18.8”.
- Best router for gaming purpose with 8 Gigabit LAN and 2 USB ports.
- Can achieve top speed of 3167 Mbps.
- In-built access to WTFast GPN for superior gaming experience.
- Fitted with Broadcom NitroQAM chipset.
- Intuitive web interface.
- Can provide coverage over max 5000sqft area.
- The placement of the 3.0 USB port is not convenient.
- Average 1.5GHz file transfer speed. Has a write speed of 27.4Mbps and read speed of 31.9Mbps.
- When you use the router as a NAS by coupling it with an external hard drive, the Wi-Fi becomes weak.
#4. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) - Best Router under $200
Netgear is one of the leading wireless router-manufacturers in the world.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 has a capacity of AC1900. It can touch a top speed of 1300Mbps in the 5GHz frequency band and 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz band.
This is sufficient to ensure all your Wi-Fi needs are met.
The router has a powerful 1GHz dual-core processor and uses Dynamic QoS to prioritize bandwidth by application and device to give you high-speed streaming and gaming experience.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 is DD-WRT enabled and supports open VPN. The device is fitted with 3 detachable antennas and has a chic stylish look. It can be easily installed using the Netgear Up mobile app.
Now let us go through the features of the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000.
- It is an AC1900 router with the ability to achieve speeds of 1300Mbps in the 5GHz range and 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz range. It has a Broadcom BCM4708A chipset that uses Turbo QAM technology to boost speed.
- It is backed with a powerful 1GH dual-core processor so you can be assured of uninterrupted internet service at all time for all your devices.
- The router uses the advanced Dynamic QoS technology to prioritize bandwidth by application and device so that you can seamlessly download HD movies and play endless video games.
This technology makes the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 one of the leading 802.11ac routers in the market.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 can support DD-WRT. This means that the device has the ability to run Linux-based third party firmware.
- It has Open Source Support and supports open VPN.
- It has high power amplifiers and sophisticated antennas that help to focus the signals on the device. It uses Beamforming+ technology to improve coverage, range and stability of network.
What Beamforming+ essentially does is that it identifies all the devices that are linked to your network and then intelligently directs signal towards those devices instead of wasting it by uniformly spreading it around.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 helps you improve the speed of your Wi-Fi to up to 100%.
- It comes with the Netgear Genie and Remote Access. It has Parental Controls function.
- You can easily access your data through the 3.0 USB and make sure it’s safe. If you have a Windows PC, you get free automatic backup software. For Mac owners, it is Time Machine compatible.
- It has a flash memory of 128MB and a 256MB RAM.
- It is equipped with 2 USB ports. A USB 3.0 port in the front of the device and a 2.0 port at the rear. There are 4 Gigabit LAN ports and one WAN port on the rear panel. The router top has an LED display indicating current activity details.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 has WPS/WPA/WPA2 security. You can set up a guest network. Further, if you wish to have a personal FTP server, you can customize your own URL for free.
The setting up process is fairly simple. Just download the Netgear Up mobile app, connect with the router to an internet source and power point and follow the easy guidelines of the app.
The setup wizard will walk you through a few simple steps and show you how to configure your network. The device also comes with a useful instruction manual in case you want to read a physical instruction guide.
It directs the user to connect the device to the internet and a power point. In a few simple steps you can have your Wi-Fi alive and kicking. Also, if you wish to use your router as a back-up, you can download the ReadyVault app.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 uses the advanced Beamforming+ technology to give you superlative Wi-Fi speed.
- It can achieve top speeds of 1300Mbps in the 5GHz range and 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz range.
- The Dynamic QoS technology allows you to stream and download tons of HD movies and games.
- You can manage it using the mobile app making it very practical. It has Netgear Genie that allows you remote access.
- Lets you run Linux-based third party firmware and supports open VPN.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 has a beautiful sleek back body and slender antennas. It is a little bulky in size. Its dimensions are: 1.9” x 11.2” x 7.2”. It weighs about 1.6 pounds.
It has feet made of rubber so that it does not slip. It can be placed on a flat surface or mounted on a wall.
- Best Wi-Fi speed in the 5GHz frequency band.
- Provides high-speed HD video streaming and downloading.
- Supports open VPN.
- Intelligent Wi-Fi distribution.
- Easy installation using mobile app.
- Too big in size.
- Device heats up. Has to be kept in an airy place.
- Average speed in the 2.4GHz band.
- Parental control cannot be accessed via web interface.
- Difficult Bridge mode setting.
#5. D-Link AC3200 (DIR-890L/R) - Best Wireless Router under $400
D-Link is one of the most trusted names in the networking equipment industry.
In 2008, it was the world’s largest supplier of Wi-Fi products with a market share of a whopping 33%.
The D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R is a front-runner among wireless routers. It was one of the first tri-band routers to be launched in the market.
It is ideal for high-speed gaming and HD video downloading and can support multiple devices in a large area. You can add an external hard drive and use it as a NAS too.
It is also one of the coolest looking routers around. It is designed like a mini version of an interstellar spaceship.
Let us now discuss the features of the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R in detail.
- It is an AC3200 tri-band router with superb Wi-Fi performance. It provides a speed of 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz band and 2x1300Mbps in the 5GHz band.
- It allows you the freedom of simultaneous and uninterrupted online gaming and 4K/HD movie and video download with 3x3 data streaming.
You can also enjoy lag-free face-timing and video calling wherever you are in your house. It lets you connect multiple devices like play stations, XBOXs, laptops, tablets, etc without experiencing any dip in throughput.
- It has a 1GHz dual-core processor for superior internet use.
- It is Smart Connect enabled. This means that the device can intelligently select and allocate the best available frequency band so can get the most out of your Wi-Fi network.
- It works perfectly with existing Wi-Fi devices as well as new, advanced ones.
- It used something called AC Smart Beam technology which monitors your connected devices and judiciously distributes signal throughout your office and home for better internet speed and range.
- It uses the advanced QoS Engine feature which optimizes Wi-Fi traffic via Band Steering technology for an enhanced gaming and streaming experience.
- It has six advanced antennas with Beamforming technology.
- The web interface is very user friendly. It can be set up and managed using the mobile or desktop app.
- It has WPA/ WPA2 security encryption.
- It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports and 1 Ethernet WAN port.
- It has 1 x 3.0 USB and 1 x 2.0 USB jacks.
- It is compatible with operating systems Microsoft, Apple, Google and Amazon.
- It allows you to create a separate Guest Network while keeping your home network private.
- A small thing to be noted here is that the DIR-890 L and DIR-890L/R are not different models. They are the same product. The “/R” stands for red device color and is mentioned in the UPC code section affixed to the carton of the router.
The D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R is easy to install. It comes pre-configured with a Wi-Fi network and password.
Just connect it to an internet source like a modem or a DSL and run the web browser to kick-start the wizard. It will direct you through a few simple steps to complete the installation process.
You have the option to change your network name and password. The mydlink service is also very useful as it allows you the flexibility to manage and monitor your network via mobile and desktop apps.
- Being an AC3200 tri-band router, the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R promises superlative Wi-Fi connectivity. It can achieve speeds of up to 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz band and 2x1300Mbps in the 5GHz band.
- You can connect multiple devices and still enjoy non-stop 4K streaming and online gaming.
This is because the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R uses the latest technology such as AC Smart Beam, QoS Engine, Beamforming and Smart Connect to give you high-speed Wi-fi coverage.
- The Netgear Nighthawk X4 can touch a top speed of 1900Mbps on the 5GHz band.
Compared to that, the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R is not as fast on any one connection, but it can provide a fast delivery speed to multiple devices simultaneously.
If you wish to take optimum advantage of the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R, it is important that at least one of your devices is sophisticated enough to send and receive files at the highest speed.
Else, the maximum speed you will achieve will not be that of the router’s but your client devices.
The D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R is available in candy apple red. The device is dual-colored.
The main body is red and the antennas are black. It has a stylish design and resembles a spacecraft. It has six antennas, weighs 2.5 pounds and has dimensions of 9.8” x 15” x 4”.
- Excellent Wi-Fi range and speed.
- Ideal for high-speed gaming and 4K/HD movie streaming.
- Smart, new-age design.
- Easy to set up and manage remotely with mobile and desktop apps.
- Too large in size.
- Manual set up features are not comprehensive.
- Difficult to share printer connected to router’s USB port.
- Antennas can’t be detached.
- Not very pocket-friendly.
#6. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 - Best Wifi Router under $400
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 is best suited for high-speed online VR gaming, instant downloads and 4K video streaming.
It is a tri-band router with speeds up to 800Mbps in the 2.4GHz frequency band, 1733Mbps in the 5GHz band and 4600Mbps in the 60GHz band.
This is frankly the fastest internet speed you can currently get. There are very few routers in the market that can compete with this giant.
It’s no wonder that its price is also on the higher side, selling at around USD 450. But if you ask us, it is totally worth every penny you pay.
With the mind-boggling speed and range, you are sure to be more than satisfied with this absolute cracker of a Wi-Fi router.
Let us now take a moment to go through the features of the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10.
- It is a powerful tri-band router with 802.11ac and 802.11ad Quad-Stream Wave 2 Wi-Fi.
It is capable of giving speeds up to 800Mbps in the 2.4GHz frequency band, 1733Mbps in the 5GHz band and 4600Mbps in the 60GHz band. In other words, the devices can give a total speed of 7.2Gbps.
- It has 7 Gigabit Ethernet ports: 6 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. It also has a 10 Gigabit SPF+ LAN port for speedy access to NAS. You can transfer and store data and back up at lightning fast speed.
- It has Multi-User MIMO technology for superior Wi-Fi experience. It also uses 160MHz Wi-Fi technology which has the unique ability to double internet speed to all your mobile devices.
- It comes with a 1.7 Quad pro processor ideal for high-speed streaming and gaming. It has 60 GHz 11ad features.
- It is fitted with 4 sophisticated dual band antennas and high power amplifiers for better range and coverage.
- You can combine 2 of the Gigabit Ethernet ports to obtain speeds up to 2Gbps.
- It has 2 x 3.0 USB ports.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 can be easily managed and controlled via the NETGEAR Genie app.
- The device is also compatible with Amazon features. For example it obeys Alexa voice commands and offers users the benefit of Amazon drive back-up.
You can get a free 6-month unlimited automatic storage and backup to the Amazon Drive Cloud.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 lets you organize your media files at the click of a few buttons. You can use the PLEX feature to manage and watch your movies and videos on all devices.
All you have to do is connect your NAS or USB external hard drive to the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 and you can get started.
Setting up the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 is a cakewalk.
All you have to do is connect the router to an internet source via a desktop/laptop or mobile, log on to www.routerlogin.net and follow the simple guidelines of the wizard.
Alternately, you can download the NETGEAR Up app on your mobile and comfortably install the device. You can even update and customize the configuration like network name and passwords.
- It is by far the fastest wireless router in the market. So you can rest assured you will only get the best Wi-Fi range and coverage.
Being a tri-band router with 802.11ac and 802.11ad Quad-Stream Wave 2 Wi-Fi, it is powerful enough to touch top speeds of up to 800Mbps in the 2.4GHz frequency band, 1733Mbps in the 5GHz band and 4600Mbps in the 60GHz band.
- When tested in close proximity in the 5GHz band, it recorded a superb speed of 550Mbps which is much greater than that of its immediate competitor, the TP-Link Talon AD7200.
At 30ft distance, it recorded a speed of 400Mbps in the same band. In the 2.4GHz band too, the speeds recorded were very impressive.
For example in same-room close it gave 100Mbps and at 30ft, it gave 75Mbps.
Finally, in the close proximity test of the 60GHz frequency band, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 brilliantly outshone all the others by delivering a blazing speed of 960Mbps. But in the long range test, it failed to meet the standards as the 60GHz cannot penetrate concrete walls.
- One important thing to be noted is that although the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 has 802.11ad features, in order to avail its benefits, your device will have to support 60GHz 802.11ad Wi-Fi network standards.
In other words, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 is an advanced model and your devices have to be equally advanced to fully utilize its benefits.
It has a very sleek and elegant design. It is black in color. Its dimensions are: 8.8” x 6.6” x 2.9”. It weighs 4.1 pounds. It has 4 antennas with cool LED lights along the length.
- Fastest tri-band Wi-Fi router.
- Superfast ports for backup, transfer and streaming.
- Comes with 802.11ad and 160MHz architecture.
- Easy installation via mobile app.
- Has PLEX feature.
- No QoS ability to prioritize traffic.
- Its 802.11ad signal is not supported by most devices.
- 10Gb LAN port is SFP+ optical only.
#7. Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena - Best Wireless Router under $200 for Home
The Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena is a great router for your home internet needs.
It can give a combined speed of 2.53Gbps with speeds up to 800Mbps in the 2.4GHZ band and 1733Mbps in the 5GHz band.
It is equipped with 16 high-performance amplifiers and 4 antennas.
It has MU-MIMO technology, has a 1.4GHz dual core processor, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 1 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 USB ports.
The gadget is smart looking and affordable. With the wide range of features, you can enjoy lag-free gaming and 4K streaming at all times on multiple devices.
Below we have enumerated the features of the Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena.
- It is a powerful router sufficient for your home network requirements. It can offer a total speed of up to 2.53Gbps with speeds up to 800Mbps (2.4GHZ) and 1733Mbps (5GHz).
- It has AC2600 Wi-Fi technology which boasts of 4 simultaneous streams of internet data so you can enjoy super fast streaming, gaming and downloading.
- It uses MU-MIMO for superior multi client coverage and speed.
- It can provide network to remote points with the help of its 16 advanced amplifiers and 4 high gain 5dBi dual band antennas. They help to beam the Wi-Fi signal in the direction of the connected device and are capable of penetrating obstacles and walls.
- Powerful 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor supports intensive Wi-Fi use like online gaming and instant HD movie download.
- It also uses the advanced Beamforming technology to efficiently focus the signals on the connected devices.
- The Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena is protected with many cool security features like website blocking, network coverage control and SFI firewall.
- One 3.0 and one 2.0 USB ports facilitate high-speed media file transfer and backup.
- It offers free Elite Support which is a US based customer support system for technical issues.
- It has 512MB DDR3 memory.
Setting up the device is very easy.
Just connect it to an internet source (modem) using the WAN cable that comes with the device and plug the router to an electric switch board. That’s all. The router is already configured with 2 Wi-Fi band networks.
For further customization like changing network name and password, you can log on to http://setup.ampedwireless.com and follow the simple directions. It is a user-friendly web interface and you should not have any trouble using it.
- The biggest plus point of the Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena is the superb coverage and range.
The 16 state-of-the-art amplifiers and 4 high gain 5dBi dual band antennas make sure your devices get the best signal at all times no matter which corner of the house they may be in.
- A special feature of the Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena is that it can provide 4 streams of Wi-Fi data simultaneously.
- In the 5GHz close-proximity test, the Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena scored a speed of 339Mbps while Linksys EA8500 scored 313Mbps and Google OnHub 297Mbps in the same test.
It however lagged behind the D-Link DIR-890L/R which gave a speed of 558Mbps.
In the 30ft test, the Amped Wireless RTA2600 scored 88Mbps while Linksys EA8500 touched 140Mbps and D-Link DIR-890L/R gave a speed of 310Mbps. But it performed better than Google OnHub which scored only 38Mbps.
In the other test too, the Athena’s score was fairly good when compared with its peers.
- Overall, we think the Amped Athena is a high-speed router capable of touching speed levels of up to 800Mbps (2.4GHZ) and 1733Mbps (5GHz) so you can enjoy lag-free gaming and streaming.
It has a smart design and structure. Its dimensions are 13” x 10.3” x 3.3”. It weighs 2.6 pounds. It comes in an elegant black color.
- Excellent coverage and range.
- Great speed in both bands.
- 4 simultaneous stream of data.
- User-friendly web interface.
- Cannot automatically download firmware updates.
- Lacks Onhub. Does not have the advantage to run only approved software..
- Average long range speed.
- Media streaming and Time Machine backup is not supported by its storage feature.
#8. Linksys WRT1900 AC - Best Dual Band Router under 200 Dollars
The Linksys WRT1900 AC is a very good dual-band router for your domestic Wi-Fi needs.
It can give you top speeds of 600Mbps (2.4GHz) and 1300Mbps (5GHz). It is built with a powerful 1.6GHz dual-core processor.
It has 256MB of DDR3 RAM, 128MB flash drive, 4 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, 1 USB 3.0 port and 4 antennas.
The device is a beautiful shade of blue that makes it stand out among its competitors which are mostly black in color.
Let us now go over the features of the Linksys WRT1900 AC.
- This dual-band wireless router can comfortably offer speeds of 600Mbps (2.4GHz) and 1300Mbps (5GHz).
- It has a 1.6 GHz dual-core processor for superior Wi-Fi range and coverage.
- It has 256MB DDR3 Ram and 128MB flash drive space.
- It is fitted with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 1 Gigabit WAN port and 1 USB 3.0 port.
- The Linksys WRT1900 AC comes with a host of exciting features like Parental Controls and Network Monitoring features.
You can remotely view all devices connected to your network, monitor their activity, pause or stop Wi-Fi signal to any device, create Guest Network, manage passwords, etc.
- The Linksys WRT1900 AC uses the latest Beamforming technology to efficiently focus Wi-Fi signals on your devices.
- It has a special eSATA port. You can transfer or stream large media files by connecting an external SATA storage device to this special port.
For small jobs like printing and transferring smaller files, this eSATA port also functions as a 2.0 USB port.
- It can support OpenWRT so you can have total network control. Also it has great NAS capability and QoS feature.
- It has 4 advanced antennas for better signal strength.
- It has WPS/WPA/WPA2 security.
- The Linksys WRT1900 AC supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and DLNA.
- It has 1 year warranty against mechanical defects.
The Linksys WRT1900 AC is very easy to set up. Just connect the router to an internet source and a power point. You have to log on to linksyssmartwifi.com via a PC or a mobile phone to start the set up wizard.
After that it is just a matter of following the simple instructions of the wizard and voila, your router is ready all set and ready. You can customize the network name, passwords, etc using the web interface.
- It gives great speed in both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz frequency bands.
When compared with other competitors like Asus RT N68U, Netgear R700 and Linksys EA6900, the Linksys WRT1900 AC provides the same speed level of 600Mbps (2.4GHz) and 1300Mbps (5GHz).
- It uses Beamforming technology for superior internet experience. It also performs well as a NAS.
- The web interface lets you control your network. You have full visibility of all your devices. You can deny access to a particular website to any device connected to your network.
The Linksys WRT1900 AC comes is a beautiful blue color. The front panel has stylish LED lights to display network status. The dimensions of the router are: 9.7” x 7.7” x 2”. It weighs 1.8 pounds.
- High-speed internet coverage.
- Open Source ready.
- Supports UPnP and DLNA.
- Smart design, rich color.
- Bulky in size.
- During launch, open source firmware is not fully supported.
- Not cost effective.
- After running for a few hours, it heats up and emanates a sharp electrical odor.
#9. TP-Link Archer C7 - Best Wireless Router Under $100
This is the best budget router you can get which is priced at less than USD 100.
It is a dual-band AC1750 router with 802.11ac and NAS capabilities and can provide a combined speed of 1.75Gbps.
It is built with a 720Mhz single-core processor. If you need Wi-Fi for your home for regular domestic use, this router can comfortably meet all your bandwidth needs.
It has 3 external and 3 internal antennas. It has a shiny black top and is very smart-looking. If you are on a budget but at the same time do not wish to compromise on Wi-Fi speed and coverage, this is the router for you.
Let us now discuss the features of the TP-Link Archer C7.
- It is an AS1750 router with 802.11ac Wi-Fi standards. It is dual-band and has NAS capability.
- It can give a top total speed of 1.75Gbps (450Mbps in the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps in the 5GHz band).
- It has two 2.0 USB ports.
- It has 6 antennas, 3 internal and 3 external.
- It has the option for Guest Network. It also has many security features to safeguard your network from outside interferences.
- You can control and manage the bandwidth of your devices with the help of the Bandwidth control feature.
- The installation process is also very simple as it comes with the multi-language Easy Setup Assistant feature.
- The TP-Link Archer C7 runs on a 720MHz single-core processor, has 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, 1 Gigabit Ethernet WAN port and 128MB RAM.
- It uses Beamforming technology to focus signal on your devices so you can enjoy uninterrupted Wi-Fi. It has Parental Control feature and can be run on Open Source software.
- The router comes with 2 years warranty with unlimited 24x7 live customer support for technical issues.
- It is priced at less than USD 100.
The TP-Link Archer C7 has Easy Setup Assistant which makes the installation process very simple.
Just connect the router to your PC and the internet, plug the router to a power source, log on to http://tplinkwifi.net via your PC web browser and follow the simple guidelines of the setup wizard.
On the web interface, click on Quick Setup and then select Auto Detect. The system will detect your internet connection and give you the option to select Concurrent/dual-band or single band Wi-Fi.
You will then be guided to configure your network security settings. Once that is taken care of, you are good to go.
- The TP-Link Archer C7 is a budget router that is great for everyday domestic Wi-Fi requirements.
In the 2.4GHz close-proximity test, it scored an impressive 91Mbps which is higher than its competitors like the Netgear AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi router R6220 which scored 74Mbps and Linksys EA6350 AC1200+dual band Smart Wi-Fi router which scored 72Mbps.
In the 30ft long distance range also it scored more than its peers with a speed of 62Mbps while Netgear AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi router R6220 scored 48Mbps and Linksys EA6350 AC1200+dual band Smart Wi-Fi router scored 39Mbps.
- In the 5GHz band, it scored 509Mbps in the close-proximity test and 250Mbps in the long distance test.
Both these speeds were found to be higher than the corresponding speeds of Netgear AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi router R6220 (331Mbps and 104Mbps resp) and Linksys EA6350 AC1200+dual band Smart Wi-Fi router (427Mbps and 199Mbps resp).
- Since the TP-Link Archer C7 lacks a USB 3.0 port, file transfer speed may be slower than other routers with 3.0 ports.
- It also lacks MU-MIMO function. So when too many clients are connected to the network, you may experience a reduced speed levels.
The TP-Link Archer C7 is stylishly designed with 3 detachable external antennas. It has a smart LED display panel in front. The device surface is a glossy black. Its dimensions are 6.4” x 9.6” x 1.3” and it weighs 1.9 pounds.
- Very affordable.
- Adequate for all domestic Wi-Fi needs.
- Excellent throughput as compared to its competitors.
- Easy to install and manage.
- Lacks USB 3.0 port.
- Lacks MU-MIMO technology.
- Processor is not very powerful.
#10. NETGEAR AC1750 (R6400) - Best Cheap Wireless Router under $100
The NETGEAR AC1750 is a dual-band 802.11ac router that fits your budget perfectly.
Affordably priced for you , it is ideal for all domestic Wi-Fi needs. It can give a combined speed of up to 1750Mbps.
It has 3 high-performance external antennas, one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and a host of other amazing features that will make your Wi-Fi experience an enjoyable one.
It is a powerful router that can comfortably support multi-player online gaming and HD video downloading. It has a smart design and a shiny black color.
Let us now go through the features of the NETGEAR AC1750.
- It is a dual-band 802.11ac router with the capacity to deliver a combined speed of 1750Mbps.
- It has 3 external antennas, 1 x 3.0 USB and 1 x 2.0 USB ports. It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN and 1 Gigabit Ethernet WAN ports.
- It is built with an 800MHz dual-core processor.
- The 802.11ac router used the latest Beamforming technology and is fitted with Advanced QoS.
- It has Parental Controls feature and you can set up Guest Network if you want.
- It can be accessed via Netgear Genie app. This means you can easily monitor and manage your network from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- It is compatible with Amazon voice commands like Echo/Alexa. You can remotely manage your network using the conversational apps.
- Installation is made very easy thanks to Netgear Up mobile app.
Setting up the NETGEAR AC1750 is very easy.
Just download the Netgear Up mobile app, connect with the router to an internet source and power point and follow the easy guidelines of the app. The device comes with a useful instruction manual.
It directs the user to connect the device to the internet. In a few simple steps you can have your Wi-Fi alive and kicking. You can even update and customize the configuration like network name and passwords.
- The NETGEAR AC1750 delivers impressive speed and coverage in the budget router category. Compared to some high-end models, this router is not far behind as it has the capability to touch 1750Mbps.
- In spite of being a budget router, it uses the latest technology like Beamforming and Advanced QoS.
- The most beneficial feature is that the NETGEAR AC1750 can be remotely accessed through chatbots like Alexa and Echo.
No need to type. Just say what you want and it’ll get done. The NETGEAR AC1750 is truly an intelligent wireless router and one of the most advanced currently available in the market.
- It provides both 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports for speedy file transfer. Most other budget routers do not have the faster and superior 3.0 USB port.
The NETGEAR AC1750 has a cool design. It is black in color and has 3 slender external antennas. It weighs 3.2 pounds and its dimensions are 12.9” x 9.8” x 3.7”.
- Very affordable.
- Uses latest technology like Advanced QoS and Beamforming.
- Is compatible with Amazon Echo and Alexa.
- Super easy installation using Netgear Up app.
- Does not have online/e-mail support, only voice call support.
- User name cannot be customized, appears permanently as “Admin”.
- Web interface and remote access may be problematic.
- Netgear Genie app is not very stable.
Wireless Router Buyer’s Guide
A wireless router is an important asset for your family or office.
It makes your work easier and provides you with endless entertainment. However, if you are stuck with the wrong router that’s ill-suited to your Wi-Fi needs, you can be saddled with problems.
Therefore, before you invest in a wireless router, it is crucial to examine a few very basic but very important aspects/features of the router. Let us discuss them in detail:
Important Factors to consider While Buying a Wireless Router
- Before you choose a router, make sure it is an 802.11ac router. The “ac” standard is the newest in Wi-Fi standards and gives 3 times more speed than the older 802.11n.
It engages the 5GHz band as it is less congested than the 2.4GHz band to give you the highest possible internet speeds. At the same time, we recommend you upgrade your devices if they are not already 802.11ac compatible.
- If you want to connect many clients to your Wi-Fi without any diminishing your Wi-Fi experience in any way, your router must be MU-MIMO enabled.
- The processor of your router must be powerful. For example a 1.2GHz dual-core processor is any day superior to a 900MHz single-core processor. Quad-core processors are the most advanced. In any case, your router’s processor should not be less than single-core 800MHz.
- A USB 3.0 port is more efficient than USB 2.0. It facilitates speedier transfer of files. Make sure the device you buy has at least one 3.0 port. A router with more ports is always better.
- Router with Gigabit capabilities have great advantage over those that don’t. It means you can transfer files faster and without any hassles. Most routers today use fiber as it is the latest in networking technology.
Hence, in order to be safe in the future, we recommend you get a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports only.
- Routers with mobile apps are always easier to install. It also offers you the ease to remotely manage and control your network.
- Networking technology is constantly evolving. You may want to think about the price range before investing in a high-end router.
If your family’s internet needs are moderate or even if you are an avid gamer and need superfast internet at all times, a router in the mid-range price bracket should be sufficient.
Typically, router’s cost anywhere between USD 20 to USD 400 and upwards. So anything around $200 USD will be a good choice.
- Also we are strongly in favor of routers that come with Smart Connect, Beamforming and Advanced/Dynamic QoS technologies. Smart Connect automatically allocates the best band to your device.
Beamforming efficiently focuses Wi-Fi signal on your devices by directing it towards the devices instead of wastefully spreading the network around. Advanced/Dynamic QoS controls automatic splitting of bandwidth.
- Lastly, we suggest you read customer reviews properly before buying a router. It always helps to know what problems other people faced with their routers. Knowing product issues beforehand from real customers who actually bought them will help you avoid making the wrong choice.
Range of Wireless Router
Do keep in mind the range a router can cover. If you are buying a moderately priced router, we suggest you team it with a couple of power-line adapters with compatible speed capabilities.
What power-line adapters do is that they use the existing electrical wiring embedded in the walls of your home to expand the Wi-Fi network. They are not very expensive and are an effective way to overcome the Wi-Fi dead spots in your home.
Also, make sure you place your router on a higher level and away from other gadgets and concrete obstacles. You can further optimize your router’s range by using a heat map software.
Also, if your router has expandable range/network, like if it has the option to add more Wi-Fi units to extend your network, it is a definite plus point.
Single Band, Dual-Band or Tri-Band
Wireless routers transmit Wi-Fi signals in 3 frequency bands namely 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 60GHz. Tri-band routers operate on all 3 bands while dual-band ones run on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and single-band routers use 2.4GHz.
The 2.4GHz band is the commonest band used by a majority of our home devices. It is enough for browsing the net, sending/receiving e-mails and such other regular work.
However, it is also the most vulnerable to lags and outside interferences. The 5GHZ band is comparatively less congested and hence gives speedy access to Wi-Fi. You can comfortably video chat, stream HD videos and play online games on the 5GHz band.
60GHz is the latest and fastest frequency band. However, your devices will also have to be 60GHz compatible to fully take advantage of this superfast band. Needless to say, tri-band routers are the fastest followed by dual-band and then single-band.
When it comes to high-speed online gaming, unlimited HD downloads and 4K streaming, both dual-band and tri-band routers give you excellent performance. However, tri-band will still have an edge over dual-band in terms of coverage and speed.
Security of Wireless Routers
The security configuration of your router is also important so that your confidential files remain safe and impervious to external interferences. The latest in Wi-Fi security standards is the WPA2 feature.
So make sure the router you purchase is WPA2 security compatible. Also, all the devices that you connect to your network have to be WPA2 compatible for the WPA2 standard to work.
Even if there is one device that has a security setting of below WPA2 such as WPA or WEP, your network will not have WPA2 standard safety.
Remember, your network is only as safe and secure as the least-secure device connected to it. WPA is an average safety standard while WEP is an outdated and is easily attacked by viruses.
We hope we have been able to answer all your queries regarding best wireless routers currently available in the market.
Our list of the top 10 wireless routers is extremely comprehensive and detailed. We thoroughly examined all the features of the routers before putting forth our unbiased opinion.
Our buying guidelines include every aspect a prospective buyer needs to consider before investing in a wireless router.